In January 2020, the Netherlands' new international positioning strategy came into effect, embracing Netherlands as our official name and “Solving global challenges together" as our philosophy. The NL logo and accompanying visual identity support this narrative and are used by various Dutch parties. This page explains how one can obtain right of use for the two most common formats: the official NL logo & house style (1) and the NL sticker (2).
NB. The State owns the NL logo and NL visual identity. Coordination of the use of the visual identity by central government bodies and third parties, lies with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and is delivered and supported by the NL Branding team at Netherlands Enterprise Agency.
1. Right of use for the official NL logo and house style
Using the NL logo and the NL house style for your message, means you speak on behalf of the Netherlands (public and private representation) and places your message in the broader context of the NL philosophy: Solving global challenges together.
- All central government bodies can use the NL logo and accompanying visual identity, when the activity conveys the NL philosophy and contributes to the international positioning of the Netherlands. Check the official Central Government house style to find information on when to use the government house style and when the NL logo and NL visual identity can be used. Subsequently, you can find guidelines on how to use the NL Logo and NL visual identity in the NL Toolkit.
- A private party cooperating with the central government can also request permission to use the NL logo and NL visual identity via the NL Toolkit. Right of use is granted when during a cooperation with the central government the public-private partnership (and not the private party itself) conveys the NL philosophy and contributes to the international positioning of the Netherlands. Please note: in case of incorrect use, misuse or use in breach of the interests of the State, or use contrary to good taste, decency or morality, right of use can unilaterally be terminated by the State.
To request permission to use the NL logo and NL visual identity, follow the registration process in the NL Toolkit.
2. Right of use for the NL sticker
Placing the NL sticker on a corporate activity shows your organisation's activity is in line with the NL philosophy 'Solving global challenges together'. No cooperation with the central government is required, but written consent for the right of use is. Right of use is granted when the activities of the organisation (and not the organisation itself) adhere to the NL philosophy and contribute to the international positioning of the Netherlands.
- The requesting organisation operates according to the values and beliefs in line with the NL philosophy (Solving global challenges together).
- The activity (project, event or campaign) for which the right of use is requested contributes to the communication of the Netherlands' international positioning message.
- The NL sticker is only placed on means of communication related to that specific activity.
- The NL sticker cannot be combined or edited with the name or logo of the private party in any way.
- When using the digital NL sticker a link to a relevant page on www.nlplatform.com is added.
- Written permission is given
The right of use is granted for the duration of the activity. Pleace note: the State retains the explicit right to end the right of use unilaterally if the aforementioned criteria are not fulfilled. The State can also unilaterally terminate the right of use in case the State deems that the NL sticker has been misused, used in a way in breach of the interests of the State, or in breach of good taste, decency or morality.
To request permission to use the NL sticker, please send an e-mail to the NL Branding team at the Netherlands Enterprise Agency with the following information:
- Name of the activity/initiative the NL sticker is intended for
- List of the communication tools the NL sticker is intended for
- Motivation (max. 50 words)
- Complete contact details of contact person (job title, telephone number, address)
Should you have any additional questions, please contact the NL Branding Team at Netherlands Enterprise Agency